If you own a smartphone, chances are you also have an Instagram account (no it’s not just for Millennials!). Research indicates that the now Facebook-owned network is the ‘Fastest Growing Social Site Globally‘, with over 200 million users worldwide. Used to document everything – from beautiful landscapes to war zones, festival celebrations to protests, beauty tips to fitness transformations, last night’s drunken selfies to this morning/noon’s hangover brunch – and so much more. If you’re not on Instagram, you should be. Ignore the pretentious hipster hashtags and join in for the same reason I did – FOOD, or more accurately – FOODPORN. After all, we do eat with our eyes, too! Seriously, guys. Here are 10 delicious ‘Insta-food’ accounts you need in your life:
- FOODBEAST @foodbeast : FoodBeast describes themselves as ‘The Food News Source’ and they don’t disappoint. Not only do they share some INSANE photos, but they also repost the best ones tagged #foodbeast by other Instagrammers.
You’ll find everything from Strawberry Donut Cheeseburgers (yes, it’s a thing) to the fancier end of the spectrum, like Oysters and Wine. Whatever the craving, FoodBeast delivers some serious foodporn.
- Chef Matt Moran @chefmattmoran : GQ Magazine’s ‘Chef of the Year 2012’, we all know him from the previous seasons of MasterChef Australia, but there’s a lot more to Matt Moran than even I was willing to admit. With a mélange of Restaurants to his name, he’s also in his second season of ‘Paddock to Plate’ – a television series where he travels around Australia, focusing on the native produce and local farmers and growers.
Quite a regular on the Instagram scene, he offers sneak peeks at dishes cooked at his own home, on Paddock to Plate as well as behind-the-scenes tastings at his two-hatted Restaurant, ARIA.
- Jamie Oliver @jamieoliver : Undoubtedly, one of the most famous and best loved Chefs in the world, Jamie Oliver needs no introduction.
With emphasis on sustainable food and healthy eating, Jamie’s Instagram is blowing up with his daily posts – and almost 2 million followers! He also frequently posts Recipes, so keep an eye out.
- Talking Food @talkingfood : Founded by Laura Prouty, Talking Food is a photo project with a play on words and food, such as ‘Attack of the Cloves’, ‘Take your Thyme’, ‘Elvis Pretzley’, tons of Star Wars (YAY) jokes and such.
A punny account, it’s enough to elicit a giggle or two, even on a bad day. (P.S. check out her site for prints and merch!)
- Symmetry Breakfast @symmetrybreakfast : possibly one of my favourite instagrammers of all time, Michael Zee started posting these aesthetically pleasing photos each morning while making breakfast for himself and his boyfriend.
Everything is so meticulously arranged, it looks good enough to tempt me to wake up in time to make Breakfast. Aside from the fact that they look like beautiful works of art, I think that the whole concept speaks volumes.
- Girl Eat World @girleatworld : Started in 2014 by a girl named Melissa, who decided to document her solo trips through a dedicated Instagram account. Not a fan of the infamous ‘selfie’, instead, she captures the food she’s eating with a famous landmark or landscape in the background.
If you’re a travel and food afficionado, you’ll appreciate this one. Also, some interesting food recommendations!
- Mette Dam @mrsmettedam : A Nurse and Clinical Advisor by day, this Copenhagen based Domestic Goddess has some of the most beautifully presented food photos I have ever seen.
I’ve been trying to find her corresponding Recipes, but unfortunately, the link in her profile leads me to a dead-end page. She’s definitely worth following, especially if you like drooling over good food (minus the calories)!
- Passion for Baking @passionforbaking : Norwegian Baking Queen and Author, Manuela Kjeilen has written a handful of books that have been translated into Swedish and German (her first English one is on its way). A woman of many talents, she is also a Photographer and Food Stylist (trust me, that’s a big deal and MUCH harder than it looks).
If you’re obsessed with Baking and/or love pastel colours as much as I do (Manuela does, too) then check her out on Instagram! She also has some seriously sweet Retro Diner-style Kitchen digs.
- Pear Tree Diaries @peartreediaries : An Environmentalist by profession, Jasmine Pereira has gained numerous accolades and has been voted among Dubai’s top 10 Bloggers for 2013.
Having been to Dubai myself, Jasmine’s food photos make me nostalgic for the local treats like Kunafa (one of the best things I’ve ever eaten in my life) as well as treats from the U.A.E.’s fast growing culinary scene.
- Ed Loftus @edloftus : Jamie Oliver’s Executive Pastry Chef, Ed Loftus has one of the most foodgasmic Instagram accounts you’ll ever see. Ed is currently in charge of all Jamie Oliver’s food ventures (for Pastry), including Jamies Italian Group, Barbecoa, MCFC Stadium, Jamie Oliver’s Diner, Union Jacks, Jamie Oliver’s Trattoria and Fifteen London.
Obviously, his posts are pastry-oriented but they’re so luscious, they’ll leave you pining for more.